My name is Dave Vella and I am running for State Representative in the 68th District. I am a lifelong Rockford area resident, husband, and father. I am running because I want the Rockford area to be the best that it can possibly be.
My platform focuses on investing in people and ideas to help our community move forward.
1. College isn’t for everyone, which is why I want to bring back robust vocational training programs to our local schools. Having a workforce that is well trained in a variety of fields will help us strengthen our job market and attract new businesses to the area.
2. Our property taxes are too high and our schools aren’t getting the resources they need. I want to make school funding a bigger part of the state budget so we have a dedicated financial base for our schools. This will also lower the property tax burden for local families.
3. We need to do more to address the root causes of crime. I fully support the new Family Peace Center and will work to provide additional resources to survivors of domestic violence. I will expand specialty courts so that we can better cater to people’s individual needs. Finally, investing in our people will reduce crime by giving people greater opportunity.
4. Our health system needs a watchdog. We have seen Mercyhealth continue to reduce services for the most vulnerable in our community. I will hold them accountable and to make sure that we have the high quality healthcare that we deserve.
5. Finally, I want to be there for you when new challenges arise. We need an advocate through good times and bad, and I am confident that I can be a strong advocate for our community.
The Rockford area has been very good to me. My wife and I raised two great kids here, and my law practice has been successful. My grandpa, Zeke Giorgi, taught me that we have a responsibility to our neighbors: to help when we can and to make their lives better. I want to help make our community the best it can be.
Dave Vella, Candidate for the 68th District